Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services
Prosthetic & Sensory Aids Service (PSAS)
Automobile Adaptive Equipment (AAE)
The Automobile Adaptive Equipment (AAE) program provides adaptive equipment to allow a Veteran to safely operate and enter/exit from their personal vehicle.
Veterans are trained, through the VA Driver's Rehabilitation Program, how to safely operate their vehicle on our nation's roadways.
The VA also provides necessary equipment such as platform wheelchair lifts, UVLs (under vehicle lifts), power door openers, lowered floors/raised roofs, raised doors, hand controls, left foot gas pedals, reduced effort and zero effort steering and braking, and digital driving systems.
Additionally, VA's program provides reimbursements for standard equipment including, but not limited to, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and other special equipment necessary for the safe operation of an approved vehicle.
For the special benefit allowance, see the www.va.gov/disability/compensation-rates/special-benefit-allowance-rates/
For more information about VA AAE Benefits visit: www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/special-claims/automobile-allowance-adaptive-equipment/
Eligibility: (Eligible service-connected Veterans who are non-drivers are not eligible for reimbursement for operational equipment)
- Veterans service-connected for the loss, or loss of use of one or both feet or hands, or service-connected ankylosis of one or both knees or hips.
- Veterans service-connected for permanent impairment of vision of both eyes that have a central acuity of 20/200.
Note: Veterans are trained, through the VA Driver's Rehabilitation Program, how to safely operate their vehicle on our nation's roadways.
Required Documentation to VBA
The following must be submitted to the VBA:
- Completed VAF 10-1394, "Application for Adaptive Equipment"
- Copy of valid driver's license
- Bill of sale, invoice, lease agreement or registration form
- Window sticker*
- Proof of ownership (vehicle title)
- Proof of release or disposal of a previously-owned vehicle
- Repairs: marked PAID and include the certification statement signed by vendor
*If window sticker is not available:
- Inspect and document the vehicle and items, or
- Use Edmunds Comparable Vehicle Listing Guide, or
- Submit an invoice or bill of sale that substantiates the items of adaptive equipment
• PSAS - Home
• Automobile Adaptive Equipment (AAE)
• Vehicle Modifications (Non Service Connected Veterans)
• Clothing Allowance
• Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA)
• Guide and Service Dog page
• Hearing Aids
• Orthotic & Prosthetic Services
• Clinical Practice Recommendations (CPR)
• PSAS - Week
• PSAS Staff Directory