Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services
Veterans who are rated for a service-connected disability for which he or she uses prosthetic or orthopedic appliances may receive an annual clothing allowance. The allowance is also available to Veterans whose service-connected skin condition requires prescribed skin medication that irreparably damages the Veteran's outer garments.
For the special benefit amount for clothing allowance, see the Special Benefit Allowances Rate Table for 2017.
Clothing Allowance Applications
The application for the Annual Clothing Allowance can be downloaded from VA Form 10-8678 Application for Annual Clothing Allowance.
Applying for Benefits
All Clothing Allowance Applications forms are to be submitted to the Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Service (PSAS) at the VA Medical Center closest to you on or before August 1 of each calendar year.
You can submit forms by
- Delivering the application to your local VA Hospital or Clinic during normal business hours
- Mailing the application to your local local VA Hospital or Clinic
- Faxing the application to your local local VA Hospital or Clinic
- DO NOT attempt to email the application. (This is for your own privacy protection.)
- DO NOT submit your application/form to PSAS Central Office in Washington, DC. (Processing is done at your local facility.)
Note: If you have previously received or intended to apply for more than one clothing allowance, you must apply on an annual basis. If you are in a static/recurring status for one clothing allowance and do not intend to apply for more than one clothing allowance you do not have to apply on an annual basis.